Xarelto – Emerging Litigation
Xarelto is a Direct Thrombin Inhibitor Anticoagulant that is used orally to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation. The drug has been linked to uncontrollable internal bleeding.
- Failure to warn patients of side effects of Xarelto i.e. uncontrollable internal bleeding side effects
- Failure to warn patients that the uncontrollable internal bleeding caused by Xarelto could not be reversed as easily as with other anticoagulants
Case Evaluation Criteria:
- Whether the patient was prescribed Xarelto? Reason for prescription? (Non valvular Afib)
- Was the patient using other oral anticoagulants prior to being placed on Xarelto? (Warfarin/Coumadin, Pradaxa, Heparin, Plavix, Aspirin, NSAIDs)
- Did the patient have any preexisting conditions, allergies or contraindications for Xarelto?