Invokana (Canagliflozin), FDA approved in 2013, was the first in a new class of diabetes drugs which work by altering normal kidney functions so that sugar is excreted through the urine.
Since introduced, it has been linked to hundreds of adverse event reports including myocardial infarction, kidney failure, diabetic ketoacidosis, urinary tract infections, hypersensitivity and weight loss. The manufacturer Johnson & Johnson failed to warn of these adverse effects. FDA Safety Alert
Case Evaluation Criteria:
- Whether the patient was prescribed Invokana? Reason for prescription?
- What was the injury due to Invokana (Ketoacidosis/Kidney Failure/MI)?
- Did the patient have any preexisting conditions, allergies or contraindications for Invokana?
- When and where was the injury diagnosed? Whether hospitalized? Dates of hospitalization
- Outcome/prognosis. Resolution of injury? Read More